Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in Wheaton divorce enforcement attorney

DuPage County divorce enforcement lawyerIn divorce cases, child support or spousal maintenance payments are often ordered. If you have been awarded spousal support or child support, chances are you need those payments in order to provide for your family’s needs. In some cases, a spouse may not be consistent in making support payments, or he or she may refuse to pay them altogether. Not only can this be frustrating, but it can also result in serious legal ramifications for the non-paying spouse. Both types of support orders are legal court orders, meaning a person can face harsh consequences if they are not followed. Illinois courts have various ways of enforcing support orders when this becomes necessary.

Failure to Pay Support in Illinois

The state of Illinois does everything in its power to ensure that those who are required to pay spousal support or child support do so. There are several different ways a person can be held in contempt for failing to pay a support order, according to the Illinois Non-Support Punishment Act. A person may be found to be in contempt if he or she:

  • Willfully refuses to pay maintenance to his or her ex-spouse, with the knowledge that his or her ex needs such maintenance.


DuPage County divorce decree enforcement lawyerAfter your divorce is complete, your marriage will be legally dissolved, and you and your ex-spouse will go your separate ways. However, you may still be required to remain in contact with each other, especially if you have children together. In some cases, the enforcement of court orders may be necessary if one party does not meet their legal requirements. If your ex-spouse violates your divorce order, you may be able to take legal action against him or her.

Factors That Influence Court Orders

Allocation of parental responsibilities, child support, spousal support/maintenance, and division of property are some of the most common topics addressed in a divorce decree. The final decisions on these issues may have been made using negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law, or some decisions may have been left up to the judge. Regardless of how these matters were settled, upon the finalization of the divorce, the terms of the decree become a court order that both spouses are required by law to follow.

There are a wide variety of circumstances in which a person may violate a divorce order. One spouse may refuse to give up property that was granted to the other spouse, a person may not make required support payments, or a parent may not follow the parenting time schedule in the former couple’s parenting plan. In these cases, you may be able to file a petition to have your ex-spouse held in contempt of court. However, it is often a good idea to first discuss the issue with your ex-spouse, since a violation may have occurred because of an unintentional act or a misunderstanding.


Recent Blog Posts



Wheaton Office

400 S. County Farm Road
Suite 200
Wheaton, IL 60187


Oswego Office

123 W. Washington Street
Suite 334
Oswego, IL 60543


Chicago Office

Appointments Available

Contact Us