What Are the Biggest Mistakes People Make When Getting Divorced?
Divorce can be highly stressful, and when people are stressed, they can easily make mistakes. Throw intense emotions into the mix, and the chance of making a mistake increases significantly. Unfortunately, these mistakes can have long-lasting consequences, both financially and emotionally. If you are getting a divorce, hire a skilled divorce attorney to understand your legal options, as well as the implications of your divorce and what it may mean for the future.
Avoid Making These Mistakes When Getting Divorced
Here are some of the biggest mistakes people make while getting divorced, including:
- Failing to hire an experienced divorce attorney – One of the biggest mistakes people make during a divorce is not hiring an experienced divorce attorney. Divorce can be a complex legal process, and an experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal system, ensure your rights are protected, and help you achieve a favorable settlement.
- Failing to disclose all assets – During a divorce, both parties are required to disclose all assets, income, and debts. Unfortunately, some people may hide assets or income to avoid dividing them with their spouse.
- Making emotional decisions – Divorce can be an emotional process, and making decisions based on emotions rather than logic is easy. Therefore, it is essential to keep your emotions in check during the divorce process and make decisions that are in your best interest, both financially and emotionally.
- Failing to understand the financial implications – Divorce can have significant financial implications, and it is crucial to understand the potential consequences of your decisions. For example, failing to consider the tax implications of a settlement can result in unnecessary surprises down the road.
- Failing to consider the long-term effects on children – Divorce can significantly impact children, and it is crucial to consider the long-term effects of your decisions on them. This includes ensuring they have a stable and supportive environment and are not caught in the middle of any disputes.
- Failing to negotiate in good faith – It is important to negotiate in good faith and work toward a fair and equitable settlement during a divorce. Failing to do so can result in a lengthy and costly legal battle with long-lasting consequences.
Contact a Wheaton, IL Divorce Attorney
One of the best ways to avoid making costly errors during your divorce is to hire an experienced divorce lawyer. Their experience will be instrumental in guiding you through the process, ensuring all your decisions support your and your children’s best interests. Contact the skilled DuPage County divorce lawyers at Andrew Cores Family Law Group for more information. Call 630-871-1002 for a free consultation.
Source - https://wtop.com/business-finance/2018/06/5-common-divorce-mistakes-to-avoid/